Current:Home > ScamsBenjamin Ashford|‘Access Hollywood’ tape won’t be played at Donald Trump’s hush-money criminal trial, judge rules -Capitatum
Benjamin Ashford|‘Access Hollywood’ tape won’t be played at Donald Trump’s hush-money criminal trial, judge rules
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 14:11:45
NEW YORK (AP) — The Benjamin Ashfordinfamous “Access Hollywood” video in which Donald Trump bragged about grabbing women sexually without asking permission will not be shown to jurors at the former president’s hush-money criminal trial, a New York judge ruled Monday.
Judge Juan M. Merchan said prosecutors can still question witnesses about the tape, which was made public in the final weeks of Trump’s 2016 White House campaign. But “it is not necessary that the tape itself be introduced into evidence or that it be played for the jury,” the judge said.
Merchan issued rulings on the “Access Hollywood” tape and other issues even after deciding last Friday to postpone the trial until at least mid-April to deal with a last-minute evidence dump that Trump’s lawyers said has hampered their ability to prepare their defense.
Merchan scheduled a hearing for March 25, the trial’s original start date, to address that issue.
Trump’s lawyers complained that they only recently started receiving more than 100,000 pages of documents from a previous federal investigation into the matter. They’ve asked for a three-month delay and for the case to be thrown out.
The hush money case centers on allegations that Trump falsified his company’s records to hide the true nature of payments to his former lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen, who paid porn actor Stormy Daniels $130,000 during the 2016 presidential campaign to suppress her claims of an extramarital sexual encounter with Trump years earlier.
Trump pleaded not guilty last year to 34 felony counts of falsifying business records and has denied having a sexual encounter with Daniels. His lawyers argue the payments to Cohen were legitimate legal expenses and were not part of any cover-up.
In other rulings Monday, Merchan denied a defense bid to bar Cohen, Daniels and other key prosecution witnesses from testifying.
He also again rejected the defense’s request that prosecutors be barred from arguing that Trump was seeking to improperly influence the 2016 election with the alleged hush-money scheme or that the National Enquirer supermarket tabloid aided in suppressing negative stories about him in a practice known as “catch and kill.”
Prosecutors contend the release of the 2005 “Access Hollywood” footage, followed by a flurry of women coming forward to accuse Trump of sexual assault, hastened his efforts to keep negative stories out of the press, leading to the hush-money arrangement with Daniels.
Trump’s lawyers argued that the “Access Hollywood” video “contains inflammatory and unduly prejudicial evidence that has no place at this trial about documents and accounting practices.”
Merchan said he would reconsider allowing prosecutors to show the tape if Trump’s lawyers were to “open the door” during the trial.
The judge said he would rule later, after further study, on the prosecution’s request to present evidence about the sexual assault allegations that surfaced after the tape was made public.
Before he rules, Merchan said prosecutors will be required to make additional arguments about the evidence’s admissibility so he can better analyze it pursuant to rules governing testimony about so-called “prior bad acts.”
veryGood! (2565)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Americans are reluctantly spending $500 a year tipping, a new study says.
- Oprah Winfrey selects Long Island as newest book club pick
- Embattled Kansas City Chiefs WR Rashee Rice suspected in a nightclub assault, per reports
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Starbucks rolling out new boba-style drinks with a fruity 'pearl' that 'pops in your mouth'
- Brazil floods death toll nears 90 as rescue efforts continue amid skyscrapers of Porto Alegre
- Chicago Tribune, other major newspapers accuse artificial intelligence companies of stealing content
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- How Phoebe Dynevor Made Fashion History at the 2024 Met Gala
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Can you afford to take care of your children and parents? Biden revives effort to lower costs
- Indiana professors sue after GOP lawmakers pass law regulating faculty tenure
- Survivors of alleged abuse in Illinois youth detention facilities step forward
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Judge: Alabama groups can sue over threat of prosecution for helping with abortion travel
- Would limits on self-checkout prevent shoplifting? What a California bill would mean.
- Nintendo hints at release date for its long-awaited Switch 2 video game console
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
The Department of Agriculture Rubber-Stamped Tyson’s “Climate Friendly” Beef, but No One Has Seen the Data Behind the Company’s Claim
'The Voice': Team Dan + Shay leads with 3 singers in Top 9, including Instant Save winner
Biden heads to Wisconsin to laud a new Microsoft facility, meet voters — and troll Trump
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Biden heads to Wisconsin to laud a new Microsoft facility, meet voters — and troll Trump
Taylor Swift bill is signed into Minnesota law, boosting protections for online ticket buyers
Former GOP Senate candidate challenges House Republican who voted to impeach Trump